There are 2 diametrically opposing views of the conflict in Syria:
1. The view of the American government and media:
- President Assad is an ally of Russia and Iran, therefore he must be removed from power in Syria
- The rebels who are fighting the government of Syria are freedom fighters
- The vast majority of these rebels are fighters for democracy and Western values
- Russia is not fighting against ISIS aka ISIL aka Daish, only USA is
1. The view of the Russian government and media:
- President Assad is an internationally recognized head of state in Syria
- It is up to Syrian people, not the US government, to decide who should be Syria’s head of state
Whose side is right?
Let us look at the authoritative report by Tony Blair Faith Fgoundation/The Centre on Religion and Geopolitics:
If the Castle Falls: Ideology and Objectives of the Syrian Rebellion
IF THE CASTLE FALLS Ideology and Objectives of the Syrian Rebellion
33% – nearly 100,000 fighters – have the same ideological objectives as ISIS.
60% belong to Islamist groups (those who want a state governed by their interpretation of Islamic law)